Whether working on a renovation or creating a new build, a containment system is a must. Construction sites spread dust and particles that can harm people passing by and products sold in the area. Additionally, the noise generated from a construction site can make the environment uncomfortable for clients, customers and employees.
Rather than using labor-intensive, single-use drywall to create a barrier, you can use a temporary containment system, which is more environmentally friendly and helps reduce the spread of contaminants while keeping your space useable. Explore the benefits of using temporary containment systems at your worksite and the advantages of working with SwiftWall.
Understanding Potential Issues With Dust
Construction sites are prone to creating excessive amounts of dust, especially when cutting into various materials, such as wood, metal, concrete and plastics. As a result, the dust from a construction site is full of numerous particles that can be hazardous to a person’s health.
If a construction site is located near areas with people, the dust created from these job sites can pose health risks to the community’s health. For example, construction jobs located in hospitals, airports, educational institutions and neighborhoods can create a health risk in the community. Various particles in the dust can cause short-term health effects when inhaled, such as:
- Coughing and sneezing
- Eye irritation
- Asthma attacks
Long-term exposure to construction dust can worsen respiratory health and result in various lung conditions. Some people are more prone to experiencing problems when inhaling dust. For example, people with respiratory illnesses are particularly affected by dust particles and can experience worsening symptoms. Other people who are affected by construction dust more than others include:
- Young children and babies
- Individuals over age 65
- People with preexisting conditions, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchitis
- People with heart conditions
If your construction site is around people, you never know who could be walking by and what inhaling construction dust could do to them. Construction dust is notably detrimental in health care settings because at-risk groups are often receiving treatment at family practices and hospitals.
Health care settings have to meet a series of standards related to infection control during construction and renovation projects for this reason. The American Society of Health Care Engineering created the Infection Control Risk Assessment standard to help organizations meet these standards. Temporary containment systems are a valuable step for aligning with this standard and protecting patients.
Top Benefits of a Temporary Containment System
One of the most effective ways to protect the surrounding community while working at a construction site is to utilize a temporary containment system. Temporary wall containment systems are a series of makeshift walls that don’t require a permanent installation — hence the name. These temporary walls are easy to install and remove, making them a popular option for construction projects.
Temporary containment systems help reduce the spread of construction dust, protecting the community around the project. These containment systems are ideal for all construction sites but are particularly useful in airports, health care facilities and educational institutions where there are plenty of people around, including those who may be more prone to respiratory complications.
Temporary containment systems have many other benefits. Some of the additional advantages of temporary containment systems include:
1. Improving Time Management
A temporary containment system reduces the need to schedule construction operations around working hours when customers are in-store, allowing a construction project to run throughout the day. These systems also reduce the need for drywall subcontractors, helping your projects stay on schedule.
Drywall installation takes significantly longer than installing a temporary containment system. Drywall installations typically take a few days, if not more, and you can’t start your project until the installation is finished.
Alternatively, temporary containment systems can be installed in just a few hours. The time saved during installation, paired with the reusability of these systems, means your investment pays itself back quickly. Ultimately, time is money on the construction site, and temporary wall systems save precious hours that help your team complete jobs faster.
2. Reducing Labor Costs
Cost overruns can happen in the construction industry, but taking the necessary steps to prevent them when possible is essential. Having subcontractors install drywall can be a significant unnecessary cost, especially when temporary containment systems exist.
Working with drywall subcontractors is an added expense, reducing a project’s return. Temporary wall systems are easy enough for your team to set up, allowing your personnel to focus on the actual project at hand and allocating your spending to the labor that directly impacts your completed project.
3. Preventing the Spread of Contaminants
One of the main benefits of temporary containment walls is the ability to prevent the spread of dust, pathogens, bacteria and other particles that are stirred up at the construction site. Preventing the spread of these contaminants is essential for the well-being of surrounding employees and customers who may be in the building or around the construction site.
Preventing the spread of these contaminants is especially important in areas where people are susceptible to contaminants, such as people who are sick, young or elderly. Using temporary containment systems proves your organization’s commitment to public health by protecting everyone in your site’s vicinity.
4. Improving Visual Appeal
A construction site often isn’t appealing to look at as it’s in progress, especially when it’s a renovation inside a business that remains open. If you’re performing construction work or renovations while the building remains accessible, a construction site can be visually unappealing to customers or clients and discourage them from interacting with the business while construction is active.
A temporary containment system can help improve the visual appeal of your business while you’re in the middle of a revision or construction project. You won’t have to worry about customers or clients being put off by your construction work, allowing you to continue operating your business as usual.
5. Offering Customizable Options
Traditional drywall typically doesn’t offer many customization options, and those that do sometimes require more work, delaying your construction project further. In comparison, temporary containment systems allow you to choose from various customizations, including flexible corners and hinged doors, to help you meet the exact requirements of the space. Some systems may feature adjustable heights that make temporary systems completely adaptable to an area.
The customizable options allow you to make changes that don’t alter how you do your business. You can make it easy to access the construction site, customize the walls to contain your work and make the most of your space.
6. Minimizing Distractions
Construction work can be distracting for workers and people passing by, which temporary containment systems can help solve. A temporary containment system can help reduce distractions to employees and customers, making it easier to continue regular operations while a construction project is underway.
Keeping a space functional is important for the customer experience, which is often a notable priority for all types of businesses. Construction contractors that use temporary wall systems can prove their commitment to consumer needs and may improve client happiness as a result.
7. Reducing Waste
Drywall contributes to significant waste in the construction industry, including in demolition, renovations and new projects. If you’re using drywall as a containment system, it’ll have to be torn down at the end of the project and disposed of, resulting in waste that ends up in landfills.
As more consumers and businesses are looking to work with construction leaders who utilize sustainable solutions, a temporary containment system can help. With the right system, you can use it multiple times on various projects, helping you drastically reduce the waste you create at each construction site.
Some temporary wall systems can even be repurposed into a new system, and particular components can be recycled, helping you reduce your overall environmental impact.
Applications for Temporary Wall Systems
Temporary containment systems have numerous applications, allowing you to complete various construction projects without worrying about harmful construction dust or noise while working in sensitive environments. Some applications for temporary wall systems include:
- Educational institutions
- Health care facilities
- Retail stores
- Manufacturing warehouses
- Military or government buildings
A temporary wall system eliminates the spread of construction dust, which is especially important when working in health care or educational environments where more people are sensitive to dust or prone to respiratory conditions. These systems also reduce the noise your construction project generates, which is essential in airports and retail stores where people are constantly moving and need few distractions. Temporary wall systems also improve the visual appeal in these locations.
You can use temporary containment systems in manufacturing warehouses, whether working on a construction project or needing to separate space for other reasons. These systems can also help when working in military or government buildings where limiting distractions is essential.
Why You Should Choose SwiftWall for Your Temporary Containment System Needs
SwiftWall offers temporary containment systems that are a sustainable and simplified alternative to drywall, helping reduce your waste and reduce your downtime. Our temporary containment walls utilize aluminum framing, which is durable and recyclable. We can also help you salvage many other components for alternative uses.
You can reuse our temporary containment systems for more than one construction project. Some of our earliest clients have been able to use our SwiftWall products up to 15 times before needing a replacement, drastically reducing their waste and overall environmental impact.
Apart from our commitment to sustainability, there are many other benefits of using SwiftWall as your temporary containment solution, including:
- Better dust containment: One of the main benefits of SwiftWall containment systems is the ability to contain dust. If you’re working in sensitive environments, such as hospitals or educational institutions, you’ll want to keep the spread of dust to a minimum for the health of patients and students. Even retail stores and airports can have customers who have sensitivities to dust, so it’s essential to find a containment system that prevents the spread of construction dust. Our products help reduce the spread of construction dust, minimizing or eliminating the risk of individuals inhaling harmful particles that can affect their health.
- Decreased mess: SwiftWall containment systems don’t create the same mess as drywall, which can reduce how much dust your worksite creates. As a result, you’ll create less mess that needs to be cleaned up, which will help reduce the dust or particles your construction work creates, helping keep others in the area safe. You also won’t have to spend time cleaning up an extensive mess, which can cut into your project time or delay your schedule.
- Simpler installation: Drywall installation can take days at a construction site, delaying how soon you can start your project. SwiftWall products can be installed in just a few hours, allowing you to start your project sooner. Their light weight, durability and intuitive design allow teams to transport them with ease and set them up with a small team of two or three. SwiftWall containment systems are also easy to remove, so you won’t have to spend more time demolishing and disposing of drywall, helping keep your projects on schedule.
- Increased productivity: Because SwiftWall products are easy to install, you can start your work immediately. As a result, your productivity will increase, allowing you to complete projects sooner.
- Customizable configuration: SwiftWall products can be configured to meet the specifications of your work environment, especially if you’re working with high ceilings or long corridors. You can set up the SwiftWall containment system with as many panels as you need to create an effective barrier, reducing noise and dust pollution. You can adjust your dimensions if they change, making SwiftWall products more versatile than drywall.
- Improved visual appeal: While all temporary containment systems hide away unattractive construction sites, SwiftWall stands out for its seamless appearance. Unlike other temporary wall systems, SwiftWall is free from bulky joiners and noticeable seams that make other wall systems stand out in different spaces. SwiftWall systems look like Class V finish drywall, creating an intentional look that won’t detract from a business’s interior. We can also customize our wall systems with custom vinyl graphics and branded images to make them blend into spaces.
- Eco-friendly: While all temporary wall systems are reusable to some extent, SwiftWall systems feature high-quality materials that support reusability for an impressive amount of time. While the number of reuses will depend on your projects, some construction teams have used our systems more than 20 times. We also offer the only 100% recyclable temporary wall system, so no materials will end up in a landfill once you’ve reached the max number of uses.
If you’re looking for a temporary containment system to help reduce the spread of dust, improve your productivity and limit distractions, SwiftWall products can help. Our products help you make the most of your construction projects and keep your schedule on track while reducing your overall costs.
Contact SwiftWall to Learn More About Our Temporary Containment Systems
SwiftWall is the ideal solution for dust, distractions and delays in a construction project. Our temporary containment systems can help reduce or eliminate the spread of dust, helping keep your clients or customers safe. Our products also reduce distractions on either side of the wall and can help your projects move along faster than using drywall. You can reuse our products for multiple projects, reducing your overall costs and carbon footprint.
We have various products to suit your needs, including the SwiftWall Pro, the SwiftWall Flex, the SwiftWall Max and the SwiftWall Lite. All of these options have the same core builds with unique benefits for your applications. Contact us today to learn more about our temporary containment systems and how we can help on your next project!